December 28, 2014
Nicholas West Activist Post As drone expert, P.W. Singer said about microdrones, "At this point, it doesn't really matter if you are against the technology, because it's coming." According to Singer, "The miniaturization of drones is where it really gets interesting. You can use these things ...
October 23, 2014
- Activist Post As if the use of drones and A.I. autonomous systems aren't controversial enough, now researchers in South Korea claim to have developed a humanoid robot called Pibot that can fly any type of aircraft. As you'll see in the video below, one beneficial real-world example for the use of r ...
October 4, 2014
Activist Post While most of us might not see the benefit of new wars and military action across the planet, or the rise of the surveillance state to track our every move; if you are a defense contractor - times couldn't be better. After struggling with Congress ...
May 9, 2014
Nicholas West Activist Post Ethics is very often the final concern of science, especially where military endeavors are concerned. Drones and robots are finally becoming front page news after a series of warnings from prominent scientists and researchers who are begin ...
February 25, 2014
Nicholas West Activist Post The mimicking of nature heralds a new focus in the development of drones. While DARPA and their contractors have been working on true nano surveillance with biological components, it is the modeling of insects that is currently being ...
January 24, 2014
Activist Post The South Carolina state senate this week is considering a bill to virtually ban the use of drones without a warrant. It recently passed the state house unanimously, with a vote of 100-0. Introduced in early 2013 by Reps. Hamilton, Delleney, Taylor, Putnam and Loftis, House bill 35 ...
January 13, 2014
The AT Black Knight Transformer image: Advanced Tactics
Chris Carrington Activist Post Advanced Tactics Inc., a California technology company, has benefited from funding from the Congressional Special Interest Program to enable the development of a transformer-style drone that ca ...
January 4, 2014
John Galt Activist Post First: I entered activism through the lens of animal rights. I believe that all sentient beings deserve the best treatment possible, while I also acknowledge that there is such a thing as the "food chain." I am also a fierce individualist who ...
December 11, 2013
April Glaser and Jennifer Lynch Electronic Frontier Foundation Commercial unmanned aerial systems are set to start flying over US airspace in 2015. In November the Federal Aviation Administration released its final privacy rules for the six drone “test sites” that the agency will use ...
December 2, 2013
Nicholas West Activist Post Yesterday Eric Blair wrote about how autonomous vehicles are set to populate not only roads as self-driven cars, but to take over the entire supply line from manufacture to delivery. The outsourcing of humans to robots continues unabated a ...
November 11, 2013
Update on the global drone arms race.
Nicholas West Activist Post It has been predicted that the development of drone surveillance by the U.S. would spark a global race to develop new drone capabilities, leading to a potentially dystopian future of drone ...
November 3, 2013
"Speed is the new stealth" image: Lockheed Martin
Nicholas West Activist Post While a superficial debate takes place over the scope of drone warfare and surveillance, significant upgrades continue and the drone industry booms. Recently we have seen the Navy successfully test au ...
October 25, 2013
Stephen Lendman Activist Post Two UN reports highlight the problem. More on them below. Sixteen-year-old Malala Yousafzai is an activist for women's education, a blogger, and Sakharov Prize winner. She's a Pakistan National Youth Peace Prize recipient. She ...
October 23, 2013
Screenshot: Amnesty International
Madison Ruppert Activist Post New reports published by Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch sharply criticize the U.S. drone program in Pakistan and Yemen, calling into question the legality of the program and even raising the possibilit ...
October 23, 2013
- Youtube a new Amnesty International investigation that found, among other points, that at least 19 civilians in the surrounding area of North Waziristan had been killed in just two of the drone attacks since January 2012 — a time when the Obama administration has held that strikes have been i ...
October 19, 2013
Ben Emmerson U.N. Geneva/Flickr
Madison Ruppert Activist Post A new United Nations report states that their investigation has identified 33 drone strikes carried out by the CIA around the world that have resulted in civilian deaths and may have been in violation of internationa ...
October 18, 2013
DARPA's Vulture Program Boeing 400-foot prototype Solar Eagle
Nicholas West Activist Post Even as the debate intensifies over the scope of drone warfare and surveillance, significant upgrades continue and the drone industry booms. Recently we have seen the Navy successfully tes ...
October 17, 2013
Activist Post While the world is rightly concerned about the wholesale dragnet spying of citizens across the planet, another program has emerged which shows how "intelligence" gathered by the National Security Agency (NSA) is being used in a lethal manner. The lat ...
September 28, 2013
image credit: Salon
Jennifer Lynch Electronic Frontier Foundation Customs & Border Protection released a new list to EFF this week that details the extensive number of times that the agency has flown its Predator drones on behalf of other agencies—500 flights in total ...
September 24, 2013
Activist Post As debate continues about increased drone use in theaters of war, the U.S. drone business continues to boom. This has caused a drone arms race that has seen more than 50 other countries begin drone surveillance and weaponization programs. Intern ...
September 13, 2013
Melissa Melton Activist Post
Drones, drones, drones.
As civilian drone use becomes more widespread and normalized, journalism students at the University of Missouri spent part of their spring semester this year learning how to pilot drones. Why, you might ask? Well, sending drones into poten ...
August 20, 2013
- Activist Post The drone arms race has gone global. But inside the United States, a study by the Association For Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) showed why drone proliferation continues to ramp up at a nearly exponential rate: it has become one of the fastest growing areas of the U.S ...
July 28, 2013
- Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fst7j_VjPds The new drone spotting app can find even the most rare and exotic drones! Subscribe to JoyCamp's Channel
Via Activist Post
July 22, 2013
Paul Lawrance Activist Post Judge Rosemary M. Collyer of the United States District Court challenged the Obama administration’s claim that courts have no power over targeted drone killings of American citizens overseas last week during a hearing where the gove ...
July 22, 2013
Nicholas West Activist Post The use of drones is finally well out into the open. Some aspects of drones are still seen as fringe, however. The idea of autonomous drones is one area that still hasn't emerged into mainstream media. So, as the debate still rests upon w ...
July 22, 2013
Mac Slavo Activist Post In response to overwhelming public support for a new ordinance in the small Colorado town of Deer Trail, which would issue hunting licenses and bounties for shooting down unmanned aerial vehicles, the Federal Aviation Administration has warned that penalties for those who ...
July 19, 2013
- Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAVrjy2Mww Subscribe to the Young Turks Channel
July 12, 2013
- Nicholas West Activist Post "History" was made in mid-May as Northrop Grumman's X-47B unmanned drone made its first launch at sea from the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush aircraft carrier. While the Navy says it wasn't intended for the immediate war environment, it was heralded by the commander of the Nav ...
July 9, 2013
Nicholas West Activist Post People were shocked in 2007 when Texas news KPRC revealed that local police were conducting drone tests on American soil. Some cried "conspiracy theory" even as further revelations quickly showed that a full program had been est ...
July 3, 2013
photo credit: Steve Rhodes/Flickr
Madison Ruppert Activist Post A new study conducted by a U.S. military adviser examining a year of drone strikes in Afghanistan has determined that drone strikes resulted in 10 times more civilian casualties than strikes carried out by manned a ...
June 22, 2013
- Yes, things have come this far. There is open talk of killing NSA leaker Edward Snowden via a drone strike.
Aaron Dykes and Melissa Melton Activist Post Remember that saying “Don’t kill the messenger?” This is the ultimate form of doing just that. There is open talk in the ...
June 21, 2013
Jennifer Lynch EFF Today we’re publishing—for the first time—the FBI’s drone licenses and supporting records for the last several years. Unfortunately, to say that the FBI has been less than forthcoming with these records would be a gross understatement. Just yesterday, ...
June 8, 2013
"Where law ends tyranny begins" seen on the Justice Dept. building, D.C. photo credit: joewcampbell/Flickr
Madison Ruppert Activist Post In a court filing this week, Justice Department lawyers claimed that the Obama administration’s drone strikes that have admittedly kil ...
May 29, 2013
image source: State Department
Madison Ruppert Activist Post According to Pakistani officials and militants, a leader of the Pakistani Taliban was killed by a drone strike on Wednesday while the people of Pakistan continue to decry the U.S. drone program. Despite President Oba ...
May 28, 2013
- Nicholas West Activist Post
In a matter of just a few years, we have gone from drones in American skies being a conspiracy theory, to drones being openly debated by Congress for full deployment over the U.S. by 2015. However, you know things have gone to a new level when establishment media begi ...
May 27, 2013
Activist Post This week the Department of Justice finally admitted that the U.S. has indeed killed American citizens with drones. President Obama followed up this admission with a "war on terror" policy speech. Although Obama spoke of a less aggressive stance on drones, the administration main ...
May 17, 2013
- Nicholas West Activist Post The march toward developing drones that mimic nature continues unabated. Robobee has received a lot of attention lately for taking flight as a possible replacement pollinator for the declining natural bee population, while also offering the dual-use swarm surveillance a ...
May 3, 2013
- Those large drones may not be our biggest enemy in the future when the world starts to learn about tiny insect sized flying robots. Remember to squint when you look to the sky in the future, the drone may be closer then you think! Researchers at Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (S ...
May 2, 2013
- With Drone estimates ranging from 5,000 to 30,000 by the year 2020 flying over our skies, what is the major driving force that has states signing up to be test sites? Money!
It is no mystery most people are nervous about drones patrolling our skies, even our state politicians and government offic ...
April 19, 2013
- What will mosquito drones look like in the future? Much research has been put into the MAV area of Surveillance. Sources: http://www.naturalnews.com/036389_spy_drones_researchers_science_fiction.html http://cleantechnica.com/2012/02/07/johns-hopkins-researchers-develop-mav-the-size-of-a-bug/ http ...
April 19, 2013
- When little Johnny first learned about Drones...
April 19, 2013
- There is a lot of $$$ to be made surveilling the American public! The mainstream Media Spin made everyone believe that all this drone technology was for overseas use only. Fool Me Once! Sources: 64 Drone bases in the US: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/64-drone-bases-on-us-soil/ 30,000 d ...